December 8, 2022


  • Two lawmakers said they received death threats for their support of immigrants flown to Martha’s Vineyard.
  • “You should see my inbox now and how ugly it is,” said Dylan Fernandez, the Massachusetts state deputy.
  • Last week, 50 immigrants were flown to Martha’s Vineyard in a move planned by Florida Governor DeSantis.

Two Massachusetts Democrats representing Martha’s Vineyard say they have received death threats as a result of their support for immigrants who have been relocated to the coastal enclave by Florida Republican Governor Ron DeSantis.

Representative Dylan Fernandez and Senator Julian Sayer said they received threats after coming to the aid of nearly 50 Venezuelan immigrants brought to Martha’s Vineyard from Texas without warning last week.

“You should see my inbox now and how ugly it is,” Fernandez Tell Greater Boston WGBH On Tuesday, he added, Massachusetts State Police have been notified of the situation.

“The poor staff had to listen to voicemails, and we had to alert the state police about death threats, you know, I get stuff all the time,” he said.

The legislator said the hate messages he received “speak about the nature of where we are in this country where treating people with dignity is controversial”.

“I mean, it’s astonishing to me that a human being can be so corrupt if he thinks that’s okay – using women and children as political pawns,” Fernandez said.

was sire Quoted by Axios By saying he is responding to the backlash he has received for his advocacy of immigrants “with great strides”.

“I try to stay focused on my constituents responding, and make sure these Venezuelan immigrants are treated with dignity and respect,” Axios quoted Sayer as saying.

A spokeswoman for the state senator told Insider Wednesday that she was aware of at least one death threat against Cyr.

Last week, DeSantis sparked a firestorm of criticism after he flew immigrants to Martha’s Vineyard on two chartered planes in what immigrant lawyers called a “shameful political stunt.”

On Tuesday, a group of immigrants filed a federal class action against DeSantis and other state officials, alleging that they carried out a “plot to defraud vulnerable immigrants to advance a political motive.”

Lawyers representing the majority of immigrants have called on state and federal prosecutors to open a criminal investigation into the situation.

The immigrants have since been moved to a military base in Cape Cod, Massachusetts.

Fernandez told a WGBH reporter in Greater Boston that the threats he received were “nothing compared to what these people went through.”

“Some of them walked only 60 days to reach the border followed by gang violence, some were robbed, and others were physically harmed,” the deputy said. “Don’t worry about my voicemail – what matters is the incredible ordeal these people have been through.”

“Once they finally got here after going through all that not met with human decency, they were met with a lie and charged and used,” he said. “We will treat people here like humans.”



Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *